Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Brief Interviews with Hideous Men - David Foster Wallace

http://www.powells.com/biblio/2-9780316925198-3 : This is a book of short stories by the author of the War & Peace-like (in terms of length) Infinite Jest (which has been sitting on my shelves for YEARS). As the Powells' review states, "One either loves or hates David Foster Wallace," which I can see...but I think I'm somewhere in between. In general, he is much too "modern" for me. His writing is very stream-of-consciousness/internal monologue - and while I feel like he perfectly captures the inner-workings of the minds of actual people, I also feel like he's moving 10 million times too fast for me to keep up. I tried to do a little wikipedia research on Wallace to see if he's in a defined genre - he reminds me of Irving Welsh ("Trainspotting"), but only in the writing, not in the story-telling. I just can't quite place him - and I think people who like linear stories will not be fans, but if you like vignettes or snapshots of real life, then I would recommend checking him out - if only to read someone who is trying to do something new in literature for the 21st century. (Thanks to Sarah for letting me borrow it from the library on her SF library card!)

No comments: