Sunday, April 29, 2007

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd* - Agatha Christie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_roger_ackroyd - After Death on the Nile, I wasn't itching to read another Christie mystery, but I had already ordered this one from the library, so I thought I'd just check it out. This one is told in the first person by a doctor in a small English town where Hercule Poirot has just retired. After a woman commits suicide and her supposed lover is found murdered, Poirot and the narrator conspire to solve the mystery. I loved this book - immediately I realized that I just enjoy first person narratives much more so than third person. There is something about the point of view or the certainty of the descriptions that is much more engaging for me. The plot had twists and turns galore with secrets kept and lies revealed in every chapter. If you read one Christie novel in your life, make it this one. And don't forget, that when it comes to solving the mystery, it's always best to suspect everyone!!

(* - listed in 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die)

No comments: