Monday, May 14, 2007

The Talented Mr. Ripley* - Patricia Highsmith

http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-9780679742296-18 - By now most people have probably seen the movie based on this book, which I myself enjoyed. When I was looking for mystery recommendations last month, KJM's husband recommended it. I'd basically forgotten the story, but the basics are Tom Ripley is approached by the father of Dickie Greenwood who has been gallavanting around Europe for far too long. Mr. Greenwood pays Ripley's way to Italy to find Dickie and bring him home. Upon finding Dickie, however, Ripley becomes infactuated with him - and not only wants to become his best friend, but actually wants to become HIM. Murders and investigations ensue, while Ripley overcome with paranoia goes to strange and inexplicable lengths to maintain his secret life. There is nothing likeable about Ripley's character, but I still found myself worried he would get caught and relieved when the detectives overlooked the obvious. This isn't the most brilliantly written book, but I found it exciting. Highsmith has written four other novels featuring Tom Ripley, and I definitely plan to read them.

(* - listed in 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die)

No comments: