Monday, June 4, 2007

After the Quake - Haruki Murakami

http://www.powells.com/biblio/2-9780375713279-2 - A collection of six short stories by the author of Kafka on the Shore and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles. These all take place shortly after the 1995 Kobe earthquake and feature characters all in search of something - their fathers, meaning of life, sanity... I read them all in a two hour long sitting, but mostly because I couldn't put it down. I kept telling myself I'd stop after the next one. The stories are all a little creepy/scary, and one is completely outrageous, but they're all beautifully written and the characters strangely intriguing. I love everything I've ever read by Murakami, and I can't wait until his latest After Dark arrives for me at the library!

Postscript: I just learned that the Berkeley Rep Theater is doing a production based on After the Quake this October. I will have to check it out!

No comments: