Friday, February 8, 2008

Gentlemen of the Road - Michael Chabon

Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay is one of my very favorite books -- one of those books you want to read faster to find out what's going to happen, but at the same time hope will never end. But, since Kavalier & Clay, I have been disappointed in nearly everything else I've read by Chabon. I've been struggling to get into The Yiddish Policeman's Union, but put it aside for another time. Then, I tried Chabon again, borrowing his latest Gentlemen of the Road from the library. This is an adventure-tale which reminded me of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and Arabian Nights, not in terms of the writing, but in terms of the fantastic adventure. Normally, I think I would like this type of story, but Chabon's writing takes flowery-prose to a new level. The sentences are never-ending and I found myself struggling to get through them, with no comprehension or interest in what was happening to the characters. This probably speaks to my level of reading comprehension. I think for people who enjoy quests and a little more fantsy, this would be a precious read. For some reason lately, I am looking for something a little more grounded in reality and the present.

No comments: