Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Where or When - Anita Shreve

I was in the mood for a good story and a straight-forward narrative. Recently, I've been too tired to read books where I have to work to figure out who is telling the story, what's going on, what time period we're in, etc. When I get in these moods, usually Anita Shreve is the answer. Unfortunately, I don't think this was the right book. The basic story is that 40something year old Charles sees a photograph of his childhood sweetheart, Sian, in the newspaper, after having not talked to her in roughly 25 years. He contacts her and they exchange not-so-innocent letters and try to determine whether they should meet up or stop communicating altogether. They are both married with children, though the extent of each one's happiness is questionable. The chapters are told alternating between Charles's and Sian's perspectives - as well as a third point of view, reliving the summer at camp when the two first met. The story obviously isn't anything new, and I found that both of the characters lacked depth or any meaningful reflection on their situation. I expected a good Shreve twist, or some interesting revelation about infidelity, but it never came. I think she tried to be clever with the narrative, but it didn't work for me, and I mostly found myself disliking both of the main characters and waiting for it all to be over.

No comments: