Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Sweet Potato Queens' Book of Love - Jill Conner Browne

http://www.sweetpotatoqueens.com/ - I picked this book up at a used book store many years ago because I liked the cover and it seemed like a fun mindless read. If I would have known then how funny it would be, I wouldn't have just let it sit on my shelves for so long! The Sweet Potato Queens are a group of big red haired women in Jackson, Mississippi who come out every St. Patrick's Day to appease their adoring crowds, and to shower the people with their fabulousness. The rest of the year, the Sweet Potato Queens work hard to maintain their image - and now the Queen of the Queens, Jill Conner Browne, has put together this book - a how-to/survival guide/self-help book on ensuring that you too know the secrets of love, life, men, marriage, and being prepared. The humor is at times a bit bawdy, but I laughed out loud, and while reading this pool-side with Jake, I kept irritating him by reading passages to him that were just too good not to share. My favorite chapter was "What to Eat When Tragedy Strike," which includes all the necessary recipes for dealing with any emergency - both salty and sweet. I look forward to trying out many of the recipes, especially the Butterfinger Cookies. This book is so crazy that I am amazed it is based on actual people and hope that Browne has exercised a healthy dose of exaggeration. She has four other books about her group of friends/worshippers, as well as a recent fiction novel and a cookbook. I look forward to reading them all and marveling in the strange beauty of the Sweet Potato Queens.

No comments: