Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008: The Year in Review

I ended up 5 books short of my 150 book goal for 2008. But, instead of spending the last week of the year craming in those last books, I decided to spend it cleaning out some of my closets and trying to get a bit more organized - and reminding myself that my book goals should not stress me out! I am hoping there will be lots of time in 2009 to read. I certainly have a lot of books on my shelves that have been there for years and deserve to be read and passed on to new homes!

2008 was a great reading year for me and I enjoyed sharing my blog with folks and learning about new books from people who dropped in to share now and again. And just in case you're interested, here are my top picks for the year (of course, not necessarily published this year, just culled from the books I managed to get around to in 2008):

1. The Forger's Spell - Edward Dolnick
2. Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follet
3. Unaccustomed Earth - Jhumpa Lahiri
4. Gone with the Wind - Margaret Mitchell (thanks to Courtney)
5. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak (thanks to Mema)
6. Half of a Yellow Sun - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (thanks to Hilary)
7. Finding Iris Chang - Paula Kamen (thanks to Mom)
8. The Likeness - Tana French (thanks to Colleen)
9. I Know This Much Is True - Wally Lamb
10. The Twilight Series (all 4) - Stephenie Myers

1 comment:

Edie said...

Annie- Thanks for your great blog. I love to pop in occasionally to see what you have read. And good for you for not getting stressed out over trying to reach 150 books when you read so many. I decided to read the Twilight series since you had. Right now I am reading A Train to Lisbon by Pascal Mercier. It reminds me of A Shadow of the Wind which you and I both loved. Happy New Year and Happy Reading!
Edie Harding Olympia WA