Monday, June 23, 2014

Sisterland - Curtis Sittenfeld

I enjoyed two previous novels by Curtis Sittenfeld, Prep and American Wife.  So, when this one came out - and I found out it was about identical twins - I was eager to read it.  The books is about identical twins, Kate and Violet, who grew up in St. Louis and were ostracized for either possessing, or believing they possessed, psychic powers.  Years later, Kate strives to distance herself from her sister, while Violet years to gain back their closeness.  While I didn't think the actual plot line was that interesting, I found the relationship between the two sisters fascinating - just the concept of closeness - the fact that so many people desire to have that closeness with someone, but for those that have it, it can often be suffocating.  This idea, however, could probably have been explored in a more interesting was (and has been in the non-fiction book about identical twins, One and the Same by Abigail Pogrebin).  I have not read Sittenfeld's novel, The Man of My Dreams, but will do so only on the strength of American Wife.  When it comes to Sisterland, I'd recommend taking a pass.

No comments: