Tuesday, August 21, 2018

An Old Favorite

Like so many people, I have fond memories of Ramona from my elementary school days.  I remember feeling a kinship with Ramona who always tries so hard, but never manages to do anything quite right - and of course, Beezus, her perfect sister who was always there to remind Ramona of how far she still had to go.  A few months ago, I started reading the series out loud to my five-year-old twin girls.  They immediately identified with Ramona, while I found in my old age that I had a little more sympathy for Beezus's exasperation over all of Ramona's antics!  But, as the series progressed, I grew to love Ramona again.  Cleary is just a master at capturing what it feels like to be a kid - to feel at times like the world is against you, and all the small things that can cause a world of anxiety - and in the next moment to feel so contented with a good friend, a sympathetic parent, or an understanding teacher.  We worked our way through the whole series with the girls asking for "just one more chapter!" each night.  It's safe to say that these classics withstand the test of time!

  • Beezus & Ramona
  • Ramona the Pest
  • Ramona the Brave
  • Ramona and Her Father
  • Ramona and Her Mother
  • Ramona Quimby, Age 8
  • Ramona Forever
  • Ramona's World

No comments: