Sunday, December 10, 2006

Choke* - Chuck Palahniuk

http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-0385720920-4: By the author who wrote Fight Club, as well as a few others I'd recommend: Lullaby, Survivor, Diary, and Invisible Monsters, this is a story about a man obsessed with his dying mother, choking to death to make a living, working at Colonial Williamsburg, and sex. Palahniuk comes up with the most interesting premises for his novels. I usually find that the second half of his books fall apart or fail to keep my interest, but Choke carried me through the last page - it's not particularly gripping or suspenseful, it's just filled with real emotions described in ways that made me laugh or so, "I can definitely remember feeling like that." I'd recommend this for a fast read, but definitely not of the Oprah feel-good-about-life variety.

(* - listed in 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die)

No comments: