Thursday, August 2, 2007

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle - Barbara Kingsolver

http://www.animalvegetablemiracle.com/ - I was reluctant to read another "food ethics" book so close on the heels of The Omnivore's Dilemma, but since I started at #74 on the waiting list for this at the library, I figured I better read it when it arrived. And, I'm glad I did. This is Kingsolver's (with her husband and two daughters) attempt to live for one year only eating what she raises and grows, and what she can buy from local farms and farmer's markets. Kingsolver is a wonderful writer (she had me laughing and crying in alternate chapters), and the book is peppered with political pieces by her husband, and great essays by her college-aged daughter on nutrition and suggested recipes. There are so many little tid-bits and tips throughout - I kept wanting to grab a pen and paper to write them down or email everyone I know with them (like, did you know it's considered bad luck to say "Thank You" to someone who gives you a plant as a gift? It will cause the plant to wither and die!). Kingsolver's family raises animals to eat, which I would never do - but I am very much going to try to follow her other examples of eating foods in season, and trying my best going forward to avoid meat produced by CAFOs (confined animal feeding operations - or basically any US farm that supplies meat to grocery stores). As Kingsolver's daughter points out in one of her essays - what we choose to eat is one of the most personal decisions a person makes - and no one likes to be preached to in this area. I have always felt this way - which is why I won't preach the miracles of this book to everyone I meet. But, I really truly recommend reading this and thinking about how, if at all, you can change your habits and use your purchasing power to make a difference. I also felt as if there was a lot in Kingsolver's book about just slowing down - appreciating life, family, and friends - and trying to undo so much of what has made us into a "right here, right now" society. It's not just about food, but food is certainly a delicious metaphor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anne,

Just read your review of Animal Vegetable Miracle and I totally agree with you. I am reading it right now and I really love it. I tried homemade pizza night last night after going to the Ferry Bldg Farmer's Market on Saturday am. It was a success so maybe we can start some food traditions together!
Love,
Jessica Flemming

Anonymous said...

So, THAT explains while all my gifted plants die...doesn't explain why the ones I bought die too :)

My hubby just finished Om Dil and passed it off to me. So I gotta get both of these read...fortunately you are in Calif, i just got back and I think I O/D'd on strawberries, the East Coast "local fruit" is complete suckage compared to what ya'll get.

-Brooke