Sunday, August 12, 2007

Tuesdays with Morrie - Mitch Albom

I read Albom's Five People You Meet In Heaven a couple years ago. It is a great book, but made me cry so much that I was not eager to pick up another one of his books (even though I was sure it would be good.) In Tuesdays with Morrie, Albom goes back to visit his dying college professor, Morrie. Through their weekly talks, Morrie imparts his wisdom about life, love, and relationships. The relationship between Albom and Morrie is a little stereotypical - student gets lost in capitalistic stressful American society, idealistic ailing mentor teaches him to slow down and smell the roses. But, despite the trite nature of the story, it is told in such a tender way that I couldn't help crying by the end. This book is short enough to read in one sitting, but it's one I would recommend reading a small bit at a time - in hopes that the message will sink in - and we'll all remember to tell our friends and family that we love them, and try to live our lives today instead of putting everything off until tomorrow.

No comments: