Tuesday, April 7, 2009

2666 - Roberto Bolano

This book is incredible. It might be because Bolano died before it was published. It might be because it is 893 pages long and I can still think of a couple hundred more I wish he would have written. Or it might be because it is just one of those masterpieces that made me waiver between just sitting back and enjoying it, and actively wishing I could write so seamlessly about everything and nothing at the same time. 2666 was, at some point, intended by Bolano to be published as five separate novels. Each of the five sections of the book works independently, held together by the common thread of the true unsolved murders of hundreds of women in the border town of Santa Teresa (Cuidad Juarez in real life). The first part of the novel (my favorite)focuses on three literary critics who are obsessed with finding an obscure German author by the name of Archimboldi - who may or may not actually exist. I love the story of an elusive mysterious writer, but amidst this, the critics are also involved in a complicated love triangle (to become a square?). I was disappointed when this section ended and Bolano moved on to the next part of the story, and I did not meet up with the critics again in the novel. But, Bolano had many many more characters to introduce - some to follow for the next hundred pages, and others to abandon after one very long sentence. I can't say that this was the most intriguing book that I have ever read, or that I flipped through it on the edge of my seat wondering what would happen, but I can say that I am just in awe of this accomplishment. It makes me want to go back and read Bolano's other novels - sad to know that he will no longer be writing, but pleased to discover yet another amazing author.

No comments: