Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Witches of Eastwick - John Updike

Following John Updike's death in January, I wanted to read one of his books in celebration of his accomplished literary career. And, given that the sequel to this book, The Women of Eastwick, was published last year and I still had not read the original, I decided it was time. By now, most people have probably seen the movie starring Jack Nicholson, Cher, and Susan Sarandon, but the basic premise is that three female witches living in Eastwick have their true colors revealed when a most powerful devil named Darryl moves to town. The women, all with powers of their own, seem to value their independence. Yet, Darryl is able to seduce each of them, encouraging them to flaunt their powers, but ultimately leaving them all to marry their innocent friend Jane. As a straight-forward story, I of course found the focus on Darryl to be infuriating. These women had so much going for them - so many ways to use their powers, and they chose to destroy each other and another woman because of a man. But, when read as a satire on books that waste their female protagonists, I was able to enjoy the humor of the characters and the brilliance of Updike's writing. I have read here and there that Updike himself was somewhat of a misogynist, so perhaps my reading of the story as a satire is too generous, but I suppose whatever it takes to appreciate a great and heralded author. I look forward to re-watching the movie and checking out the sequel.

No comments: