Saturday, June 5, 2010

Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang - Chelsea Handler

I still haven't seen this woman's show on E!, but I'm now determined to read all her books. This most recent one was much funnier than the previous one I read (Are You There Vodka? It's Me Chelsea), and there were a few times when against my will, I actually laughed out loud. Many of the essays in this collection reference Chelsea's relationship with her boyfriend Ted, an older executive type who seems quite serious and constantly at a loss as to how to deal with Chelsea's shenanigans. While definitely obnoxious, I did like her practical jokes - emails and stories she's told other people and how quickly they believe her despite the absurdity of her lies. I feel like in real life Chelsea would be someone I probably couldn't stand (if she is actually as horrible as she portrays herself - but given that she seems to have some self-awareness, unlike most annoying people, I assume she is not really this ridiculous)...but, in writing, she is so over-the-top that despite the whining, you do just kind of have to laugh that people like her actually exist. And that people, including me, spend their time and money just to get a glimpse of it all.

No comments: