Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins (Hunger Games Series #3)

Collins's first two books in this series, The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, are two of my all-time favorite childrens' literature books. So, needless to say, I was eagerly anticipating this one. Katniss Everdeen had just been rescued from the Quarter Quell games and whisked away to District 13 where a rebellion against the Capitol is underway and Katniss is slated to lead it. Gale is back fighting by her side, while Peeta remains under the influence of Snow and all things evil. Many character favorites have fallen in the fighting, though a few of the Hunger Games champions remain, such as (my favorite) Haymitch and Finnick. Katniss remained throughout the novel, an unwilling heroine - quick to complain about her lot in the situation and to lament her losses, while refusing to focus on what everyone else around her was also giving up. She seemed continually saved by those around her, despite her ungrateful attitude. Though she knows that others view her as selfish and opportunistic, I felt she did little to dispel these assumptions about her character. Overall, I was incredibly disappointed in how Collins chose to portray her in this important final installment. While there is, as one would anticipate, a final battle for control of the Capitol, this book lacked the suspense I felt in the previous two. I didn't care about the characters as much - and while there is the never-ending Peeta-Katniss-Gale love triangle to wonder about, I almost hoped both boys would escape her clutches and neither would "win" out. Plot-wise, I suppose I'm happy to know how this one panned out, but sadly my high hopes have been dashed.

1 comment:

Canada said...

This book is a good ending to the series. You will have to learn to expect the unexpected throughout the book. Thumbs up to you Suzanne Collins!