Monday, September 24, 2007

A Summons to Memphis* - Peter Taylor

In general, I am a big fan of Southern Literature. I'm not quite sure why - since I've never really been to the south, and don't have any connection to it. But, I think the history of the South lends itself to stories about families and secrets and the struggle between doing what's right/for yourself and doing what is expected of you by others - all themes which I find quite interesting. A Summons To Memphis is told from the perspective of Philip, the younger brother of two meddling sisters. The book opens with their plea for his to return home from New York to help prevent their aging widower father from remarrying and giving away their inheritance. As Philip returns home, he
recounts how his family made its way to Memphis from Nashville, and the unlucky relationships that he and both his sisters have endured. Taylor's story and his writing reminded me of Henry James. Not a lot happened in this book in terms of plot, but I found myself absolutely enthralled by the language. Taylor's characters, like those of James, often say and do things while meaning quite the opposite. While it can be frustrating to understand the subtext, it is a fascinating study in manipulation. I have a love/hate relationship with the winners of the Pulitzer, but this is one the committee definitely got right.

(* - Winner of the 1987 Pulitzer Prize)

No comments: