Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Washingtonienne* - Jessica Cutler

http://www.wonkette.com/archives/the-lost-washingtonienne-wonkette-exclusive-etc-etc-004162.php - Last night, I wasn't feeling well. I just wanted to go home and read. But, I didn't feel like I had much ability to concentrate. So, I took this book off my shelf. Raz loaned it to me awhile ago when she was in her chick-lit/memoir phase, so I figured it would be a light read. That is the understatement of the year. This is the fictional account of Ms. Cutler's real-life exploits as an intern on the Hill. It is filled with her drug and alcohol induced sexcapades, which she recounts for her friends via her daily blog. She uses her size-0 body and designer clothing to attract wealthy (often married) older men who pay her rent in exchange for her company. This is the literary equivalent of bad reality television and quite possibly the most poorly written book I have read in the last several years. As Cutler attempts to describe her character's fashion ensembles, I couldn't help but think that she fancied herself the next Brett Easton Ellis (whose American Psycho, by the way, is pure genius). But, I thought I was giving her too much credit - until one of her characters mentioned Patrick Bateman (the main character in American Psycho) and then I just felt sad for her. I read this 300 page book in just under 2 hours. It passed the time and was so ridiculous that I found it entertaining. But, if you're looking for something to stimulate brain cells, stay far far away. If, on the other hand, you're looking to kill more brain cells, the link above will take you to the recovered actual blog of the real-life Washingtonienne.

(* - This is the 100th book I've read this year!)

No comments: