Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Bobby Gold Stories - Anthony Bourdain

I'm a big fan of Bourdain's non-fiction writing about his career as a chef (Kitchen Confidential), so when I read fantastic reviews about this fiction crime novel, I was eager to check it out. Luckily, it's only about 150 pages. The book features Bobby Gold, just released from 10 years in prison for a drug charge. He finds a job working as some kind of bouncer/enforcer for a ne'er do well, and becomes infactuated with Nikki, a chef as one of his frequented haunts. This book is long on bone-crushing encounters, foul language, and sex - but very short on plot. Admist all his celebrity chef appearances, I'm impressed that Bourdain has time to write anything, but in the future, I hope he sticks to the non-fiction essays that made him famous.

No comments: