Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemmingway

I've previously only read Hemingway for classes in college - The Sun Also Rises a few times and A Farewell to Arms. For the most part, reading these novels solidified my belief that in general, I am not a fan of pre-1950s American writing. But, it's been a few years, so I thought I'd give Hemingway anothre chance - and I chose his last, and arguably most famous, book for my re-introduction. I vowed that even though the book is very short, that I would read it slowly, so that I could afford myself the opportunity to really appreciate and understand Hemingway's words. From this perspective, Hemingway finally came through for me. I did enjoy the cadence of his writing and his descriptions of the fishing village in Cuba. But, alas, his subject matter is too "manly" - and I found the old man's battle with a marlin tedious. Of course, I know it is all a metaphor for something larger - perhaps the old man represents Christ's sacrifice, perhaps the marlin is a symbol of man's desperation and never-ending search for immortality. And so the conundrum: I would have enjoyed discussing this book in college, but back then, I don't think I could have slowed down long enough to appreciate the writing . I think that I will read more Hemingway - he is as popular and enduring as he is for a reason - and his books are all short enough that it doesn't take too much out of my days to keep trying to understand what the hype is all about.

No comments: