Friday, June 27, 2008

Bloodsucking Fiends - Christopher Moore

I've been having a frustrating week of reading. I've started about five different books, read 20-50 pages of each, and not been able to get into anything. When this happens, I try to go back to a trusted author - just so I can read something I know I'll finish - even if it might not be a masterpiece. So, I decided to check out another Christopher Moore vampire novel to get my reading back on track. I have a hard time paying attention to when books were published and in what order, but Bloodsucking Fiends appears to be the prequel to You Suck and A Dirty Job - both of which I really enjoyed. Bloodsucking Fiends takes place in San Francisco and tells the story of Jody, who has just been turned into a vampire and is trying to come to terms with who she is and what exactly all her powers are. She links up with C. Thomas Flood, a recent transplant to the Bay Area who is looking for a place to live and is ripe for falling in love with a gorgeous creature of the night. As a background to the subsequent novels, this wasn't bad, but on its own, I don't think it would have encouraged me to read much more of Moore's novels had it been the first one I'd picked up. Given my experience with this one, and his first novel Practical Magickeeping, I think I'm going to stick to Moore's more recent work.

No comments: