Monday, June 2, 2008

Skin - Roald Dahl

Like every kid growing up, Roald Dahl was one of my favorite writers. I couldn't get enough of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The BFG, The Witches, Fantastic Mr. Fox and all the rest...so when I heard that he wrote macabre short stories for adults, I thought I better take a look. Dahl's writing, as expected, is quite easy to get into and his characters are very likeable (in a sinister way). But, as far as short stories go, I thought the twists and shockers were too obvious. There is one story called Champion of the World that must have provided the beginning for his novel Danny, the Champion of the World about pheasant poaching - I enjoyed reliving that story. In general though, I was not quite satisfied with this collection, though I admit that one story about a gentleman with a tattoo by a famous artist on his back is so creepy I think it will haunt me for quite awhile. These are worth checking out just to see Dahl's other side, but overall, I recommend sticking to his children's classics.

No comments: