Friday, June 20, 2008

Brunelleschi's Dome - Ross King

In 1419, there was a competition to see who could design a dome for the Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore (the Duomo) in Florence. The top two contenders were Filippo Brunelleschi and his rival Lorenzo Ghiberti (famous for his "Gates of Paradise") Brunelleschi, supported by the Medicis, won the commission and this book tells the story of Brunelleschi's rise to the top, and his sturggle to carry out his designs over the following 30 years. The architectual details were a bit overwhelming for me - but for a reader with a bit more knowledge than I (and anyone who has had the pleasure of visiting Florence) - I am sure it all is all just astounding to discover how Brunelleshi came up with such innovative and ingenious ideas - and how he managed to move so many tons of bricks without moden day machinery. I, however, was more interested in the backstory between Brunelleschi and Ghiberti. I find the Renaissance artists so fascinating - they are all supreme divas, but so much under the control of their wealthy sponsors. If they lived now, I am sure they would trump Lindsay Lohan and Britney Spears for the cover of US Weekly. I loved this book, simply because it was about something so different. But, I would have preferred a little more gossip and a little less trigonometry.

No comments: