Thursday, September 30, 2010

American Rust - Phillipp Meyer

Recommended by my friend Rob, American Rust is one of the better books I've read this year, and one I probably never would have known about but for Rob pointing me in the right direction. Likened to The Grapes of Wrath because it deals with restless life in small-town America, American Rust is principally the story of two friends. One, Isaac, is a rare intellect in the midst of average Joes. He has been itching to get away from his nowhere Pennsylvania town, and the ailing father he has taken care of since his mother died and his sister left to better herself at an Ivy League university. The other, Billy, a washed-up high school football player with a quick temper, is destined for a life of trailers and pick-up trucks. When Isaac's plan to escape goes horribly wrong, the two find themselves lost and alone, and struggling to make sense of the life around them. Told from the perspective of these two, along with Billy's mother and the town sheriff, I found the pace of this book and its exploration of the characters just what I needed - wonderfully written and a fulfilling interesting story. Thanks Rob!

No comments: