Monday, March 30, 2015

Happy Spring/Happy Easter!

Other than the terrible allergies that come with Spring, I love everything about the idea of the season - new life, beautiful flowers, bunnies and chicks - everything just seems so fresh and happy.  Easter is also one of my favorite holidays (I know, I have so many favorites!)  Growing up, I loved decorating eggs (drawing on the eggs with crayon before dipping in color was always my favorite method).  My mom always made us Easter baskets with chocolate bunnies and a little gift, and my dad enjoyed hiding eggs for us in places where we'd never find them.  My husband also comes from a family with many Easter traditions - since we've been together, I've enjoyed gathering with his dad's family on the Saturday of Easter weekend for a potluck and egg hunt, and with his mom's family on Sunday morning for a super competitive adult hunt with clues and a delicious Easter brunch of fantastic quiches, pigs in a blanket, and coffee cake.  It's a holiday that comes with a lot of opportunities for books and crafts, but more importantly, it's one of the few holidays outside of Thanksgiving and Christmas that really seems to bring families together (at least ours).

Getting all the craft supplies organized for 109 pre-schoolers!
This year, I volunteered to organize the crafts for my girls' pre-school Egg Hunt Day.  I know I always enjoy searching for, preparing for, and actually doing holiday crafts with my kids, so why not do it for 109 pre-schoolers?!?!  Luckily, my saintly mother stepped in to save me from myself and was a master with the templates, tracing, cutting, tying, and everything else necessary to make sure we had everything ready for our deadline.

Peek-a-Boo Chick
The first craft I chose was the Peek-a-Boo Chick.  This one involved cutting a lot of foam sheets for the egg and chick.  I got stickers for decorating, and then just used glue to assemble everything else (and a brad for the egg).  Even if you are doing this craft just with a couple kids, it does take a bit of prep time.  I figured many of the two and three year olds would be too little to successfully put the brad in the egg without ripping the foam, so my mom pieced together all the eggs in advance.  But once the prep is done, assembly for this craft is pretty quick, so it's a great one for kids with short attention spans.

I am a sucker for the crafts that involve kids' hand and footprints, so the second one I chose was the Handprint Easter Lamb.  Because I feared that actually inking the hands of so many pre-schoolers would be a nightmare, I just traced my kids' hands and then colored in the head and feet with black pen which I think worked just fine.  Getting the thumb-head at an angle that didn't look too weird took some trial and error, but the end product was fun.  I hope the kids will enjoy making these, and the parents will love them just as much as I do.
Handprint Lamb (courtesy of Ben's hand)
We are also  busy reading books about Spring and Easter.  Here's some of what we've been enjoying:

Books About Spring:
Books About Easter: (there are so many wonderful books about Easter - these are just a couple featuring some of my kids' favorite characters):

No comments: