Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Disgrace* - J.M. Coetzee

http://www.powells.com/biblio/2-9780140296402-3: I've seen J.M. Coetzee's books at stores for years, but never read anything by him or heard anything about his writing. I picked this one up at Powell's in Oregon - it's a short quick read, and I enjoyed it tremendously. Set in South Africa, it's the story of a fallen professor who goes to live with his daughter in the countryside. They survive a horrible attack that strains their relationship, and introduces issues of race and gender politics. I thought the writing was very simple, yet amazingly real. I felt almost mesmerized by this book (though I warn that the main character is not likeable and the turn of events is quite frustrating/depressing). I look forward to reading more by this author.

(* - listed in 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die, Winner of the 1999 Man Booker Prize)

No comments: