Sunday, July 29, 2007

Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen

http://www.powells.com/biblio/18-9781565125605-0 - Ninety-something year old Jacob is alone in a nursing home with nothing more to live for. But, when a traveling circus comes to town, he is transported back to his youth - and his life as a veterinarian under the big top. The chapters flip between Jacob, losing his memory and deserted by his family - and Jacob, falling in love and tending to the menagerie. I got into this book quickly, and loved the stories about the circus workmen vs. the performers vs. the mercurial management. The book has a fun ending, well-worth sticking around for. This is a great summer at the beach read.


Given how big the three books I'm currently reading are, I think this will be my last entry for July. Not a bad month, given that it was my first back at work and I'm still trying to remember how to find time to read when I actually have a job to tend to. Next month, I will have a week in Hawaii for reading, so that should be fun!

No comments: