Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Gregor the Overlander - Suzanne Collins

http://www.powells.com/review/2007_09_15.html: I love reading books about kids and for kids, - particularly books with kid narrators. Sometimes, these types of books are meant for adults (like The Lovely Bones), othertimes, they're just children's literature and they take me back to the time when I was a kid, trying to read everything I could get my hands on. I've been a little sad since the Harry Potter series ended, and on the look-out for another great children's series (I highly recommend the Ender series by Orson Scott Card and I do keep meaning to get into that Lemony Snicket one. I've also heard that the His Dark Materials series is quite good - the new movie The Golden Compass is based on it). I like finding a character I can love and then sharing multiple adventures with him or her. So, I was very excited when I read the Powell's review of this book (link above). Gregor the Overlander is the story of 11-year old Gregor, stuck in his New York City apartment in the hot summer, taking care of his 2-year old sister Boots and his ailing grandmother, while his now single mom goes to work and his 9-year old sister heads off to camp (mom could only afford to send one, and needed a babysitter for Boots and grandma). While doing laundry, Gregor and Boots are sucked through an air duct and into the Underland, where the roaches are large and the rats are murderous. Gregor must then embark on a quest to save the realm and find his way back home. While the premise of the book is one I usually enjoy (and standard fare for good children's literature - you always need an alternate world and no parents - think Alice in Wonderland, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, The Indian in the Cupboard) but unfortunately, I think Gregor is targeted to a bit of a younger audience (maybe 1st-3rd graders) than the books that I typically enjoy in this genre. The plot is a bit too straight-forward (though some of the Underland interactions are quite disturbing) and I didn't feel like the story was able to entirely capture my excitement. I did love the character of Boots - whose 2-year old simplicity, love and trust win over the admiration and sometimes worship of all the Underland creatures. My understanding is that there are five books in the "Underland Chronicles", so perhaps they get a little more complex as Collins grows into the characters. I might check another one out on a rainy day - and if I had a kid who was just starting to read chapter books, I would definitely pass this one along. But, from the perspective of an adult looking for enduring children's literature, I don't think this is the one.

No comments: