Monday, January 14, 2008

Faint Praise: The Plight of Book Reviewing in America - Gail Pool

Before 2007, I never really read book reviews. Ironically, given the fact that I even write this blog, there was always a part of me that didn't quite trust them. I felt like sometimes they gave away too much of the plot - or I wondered how the reviewer was really chosen. Did she really have the proper background to review a book on a given subject? What if he was an aspiring novelist himself and had a grudge against the successful one he was reviewing? Well, this book addresses all those issues and more - while exploring the demise of book reviewing in American journalism. Pool questions the general premise - that there has in fact been a downturn in the quality and quantity of book reviews in American media, looking back and finding that similar allegations have been made since the 18th century (and perhaps earlier). Pool then examines why this is in fact taking place, most notably: poor pay for reviewers, poor organization on the part of publishing houses in getting books to the reviewers, and poor matching of reviewers to books. Pool does not address a recent question I've seen in the media which is, are Americans actually reading less these days - or perhaps with books now available in many on-line and audio formats, perhaps just reading less printed copy. I was particularly interested in Pool's assessment of how book reviewers shape readers' choices and have a hand in shifting the tide of a given novel's popularity. While there will always be certain authors whose books get reviewed no matter what (Richard Russo who I'm currently reading comes to mind), of the over 150,000 books that are published in the United States this year, fewer than 15,000 are reviewed in "mainstream" media (I might be getting the numbers here wrong, but a small percentage at any rate). Books are obviously chosen on criteria other than the actual quality of the book - it would be impossible for an editor to read every single book published and then make a determination of what deserved to be reviewed. Thus, one has to wonder (and Pool does), what books are being discarded merely because of the sheer volume of literature being published - and what books are being reviewed for reasons other than merit (merit in terms of good writing, as well as merit in terms of importance to society - even if worthy of a poor review). With respect to reviews, Pool also touches upon the phenomenon of the "amateur" reviewer - the countless number of people with book blogs, and the people who review products on sites such as Amazon - and what impact this has had on the professional review community. As a professional reviewer, I think it is to Pool's credit, that she is inclusive of the amateur reviewer, not as a replacement by any means of the professionals, but as an adjunct, and a means for increasing readership (of books and of reviews) in general. I also just bought a book that is exclusively focused on book blogs (The Bookaholic's Guide to Book Blogs - which I hope to read soon). Over the past year, I have become an avid reader of book reviews. As noted in a previous post, I read the NY Times on-line reviews daily - which are so wonderful, I have to work hard not to let them influence me too much - sometimes I just read the first couple paragraphs, decide whether to read the book, and then return to the review after I've finished for additional thoughts. I enjoy The New Yorker book reviews -as they often include so much background and history on the books they're reviewing, as opposed to just a general thumbs up/thumbs down, and I read the SF Chronicle reviews on the weekends -though still too many of them include spoilers. I am usually so impressed by how well-read (or seemingly well-read) the authors of these reviews are, how much research has gone into their reviews, and how the opinion of a person I don't even know really does influence whether I'll choose to pick up or pass on a book I see in the store. It's a very powerful tool. But, as Pool points out, it is ripe for abuse, and there are many ways to improve the way reviews are done - ways that would benefit authors and publishing houses, as well as the reviewers and the publications they serve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Annie- Happy New Year! I told your mom that I think you would make an excellent book reviewer! I continue to enjoy your blog and thanks for letting me know about J.M. Coetzee-- I just read Disgrace by him which as some lovely ironies. Best, Edie Harding (your mother's partner in crime at the State Board of Ed!)