Thursday, May 22, 2008

Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson

I've been attacking my goal of reading all the books I should have read years ago. I didn't even realize that Treasure Island is a kid's book - though maybe that was obvious - do adults not care about pirate treasure? So, this made for a fast read about the boy Jim Hawkins, who finds himself with a map to buried treasure after a pirate passes away in his family's tavern. Enlisting several local men, he makes an ill-advised pack to sail with Long John Silver to make their millions (who knew Silver didn't just make fried seafood in the Pacific Northwest?) While plans of mutiny abound, they discover a deserted island (populated by one lone marooned seaman), and Jim finds himself unsure of his loyalties in his quest to locate the lost pieces of eight. As expected, this book was full of adventure, and something I would have loved to read as a kid. Afterwards, I am sure I would have buried all my toys in the backyard and drawn several maps (a real one along with a few decoys) to hide in a bottle of rum and throw out to sea.

No comments: