Saturday, July 12, 2008

When You Are Engulfed in Flames - David Sedaris

I learned this morning that there are over 100 people on the waiting list at the library for this book. I wonder how many of them will be disappointed. I have heard many people say about Sedaris - "well, once you've read one book you've read them all." I don't necessarily think that's true, though he does bring the same wit and charm to all of his autobiographical collections of essays. This collection mostly takes place in France (with flashbacks to earlier times), where Sedaris lives with his partner Hugh - who is always presented as a completely rational. I would love to read a book of essays about Sedaris written by Hugh (assuming he can write), as I can't imagine any sane person living in the same vicinity of Sedaris's madness. This collection is not as humorous as ones I've read before - though it was good for a few chuckles on the stairmaster. I think this a collection I would recommend to established Sedaris fans - people who want to get to know him a little better. For first time Sedaris readers, I don't think this one will explain his immense popularity. But, since Naked and Me Talk Pretty One Day, Sedaris has won me over as a fan for life, and I will continue to read his book as quickly as he can churn them out. Assuming I don't have to wait too long in the library queue, of course.

No comments: