Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Promises to Keep - Joe Biden

In general, I'm not a fan of politics or politicians. But, with all the excitement over Obama going to the White House (and I did enjoy his memoir Dreams From My Father), it only seemed fair that I would make equal effort to get to know his vice-presidential running mate. Obviously, I knew Biden was a life-long politician, and I learned during the DNC that he had lost his first wife and daughter in a car accident. And, I did know that foreign policy is his forte. But, I didn't know much else about the senator from Delaware. Promises to Keep portrays Biden as a very folksy guy, growing up middle class, raised by parents who taught him stellar values - most importantly that he is no better or worse than anyone else, and that all people deserve to be treated with respect. These fundamental ideals have (allegedly) gone on to shape Biden's view of politics and the change he hopes to see in the world. I was touched by his descriptions of his family, and the heartbreaking loss of the love of his life. I was also amazed by the incredible sacrifices his siblings, sons, and current wife have made to support his various races for political office. As with most memoirs (particularly those of politicians), Biden pats himself on the back quite a bit - though of course he attempts to do it in a "I have so many things to be modest about" kind of way. I got a little tired of him constantly pointing out how much younger he was than everyone else who had ever held his position, or the other men he had to work with in the Senate. But, I do believe that despite being a part of Washington for so long, that Biden does know and remember what it is like to be a real person in a real family. Even as he relayed his experience as head of the judicial committee during Bork's Supreme Court nomination, his drafting of the Violence Against Women Act, and his views on genocide in Serbia - Biden always seemed to maintain a healthy perspective of his role in it all. Of course, I have some basic differences of opinion with Biden - he is a Catholic, and allows his religious beliefs in my opinion to bleed into his legal arguments more than he should. And, despite his belief that ALL people should be treated equal, he clearly took the same position as Governor Palin at the debates with respect to gay marriage. While this is no small issue - and a huge red flag of hypocrisy - for me, I did finish this book with a better understanding and respect for Biden than I'd previously had. His vast experience, and his apparent willingness to learn from people on both sides of the aisle gives me great confidence for the next four years. The new administration has many many miles to go before they sleep, and I only hope that he and Obama can keep all the promises they've made.

No comments: