Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Dead as a Doornail & Definitely Dead - Charlaine Harris (Sookie Stackhouse Series #5 and #6)



With the third season of True Blood now underway, I figured I better get back on the Sookie Stackhouse series before the television show catches up with me - it's clear to me that my enjoyment of the books significantly increased once I got past the point of the television show. It could also be that Harris's writing improved a tad bit as the series went on, but to be honest, not that much, it's still pretty bad. But, the story is good. So good that once I finished #5, I moved right on to #6, and am sad that I don't have #7 right at my fingertips (hopefully, my local library will set me up soon enough!). Dead as a Doornail focuses more on the local were community - when three shifters are shot by an unknown assailant, Sookie takes it upon herself to figure out the mystery, bringing her closer to Alcide, and intimately involved in the were struggle for power. In Definitely Dead, Sookie finds herself a romantic interest (yay, I was getting so tired of the Bill/Eric dynamic), and travels to New Orleans to clean up after her vampire-cousin is killed. This series is good mindless fun and I'm glad I stuck with it after the first few. Harris is definitely on a roll, and I can't wait to get my hands on the next one.

No comments: