Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Mixing Colors

My son has had a recent interest in mixing colors - while painting and drawing with crayons.  He likes to ask what happens when you mix certain colors or how to make other colors.  In an effort to help him better understand how this works, we've checked out a few books about color mixing.  Some of the ones we've enjoyed are:

Colors for Zena by Monica Wellington

Mix it Up by Herve Tullet

Monsters Love Colors by Mike Austin

Magic Colors by Patrick George

We've also done some work with the color wheel to help the kids gain a better visual of how the colors are all related to each other.  I'm also always on the look-out for children's books with vibrant colorful illustrations just so we can be exposed to different ways to use color.  Exploring color has been a fun uplifting exercise!

2 comments:

Marji said...

This is still a fascinating subject to me, especially when the obvious combinations do not produce the expected colors. I think paints have very subtle compositiions that make them react differently with each other.

I remember a Golden Book story that we read over and over when we were young. There were cats who were painters (I think house painters) and they achieved different colors accidentally. I liked seeing all the mixtures. I'm sorry that I don't remember the title. You have obviously found many books on the subject.

annehawk said...

I found the book you are talking about: The Color Kittens: http://www.amazon.com/Color-Kittens-Little-Golden-Book/dp/0307021416 It looks really cute and we will check it out. Thanks!!