Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Non-Fiction Round-up

I don't think it matters how many times Malcolm Gladwell's theories are debunked as based on junk science, I think I'll always just keep coming back to his very accessible, seemingly logical books and essays.  In David and Goliath, Gladwell confronts the idea of what being an underdog really means.  What is it about those who suffer setbacks that allows them to persevere and defeat the giants?  Through his engaging storytelling, Gladwell forces the reader to redefine assumptions and situations - and to see the world and who has the advantages and disadvantages in a whole new light.  While parts of the book are repetitive or obvious, this was still an enjoyable (and relatively quick) read - particularly good for reminding yourself that things do not always have to be as they seem, and that in every seemingly bad situation, there is an opportunity.

Free to Learn by Peter Grey - While my children attend a mainstream public school, I am very interested in homeschooling, unschooling, and non-traditional forms of education.  While I doubt I will ever choose one of these paths for my children, it's always nice to be reminded that things can (and often should) be done differently, and that I need to constantly be thinking about the differences among my children and their different learning styles - when approaching what they're doing in their own classrooms, and in supplementing their educations at home.  Free to Learn explores ways to support and foster children's innate desire to learn.  In its criticism of mainstream education (so-called "imprisonment schooling"), it can be a bit off-putting, but I generally appreciated the philosophy of encouraging children to take control of their own education.

All Joy and No Fun by Jennifer Senior attempts to explain "the paradox of modern parenting" - how can it be that our children are the center of our worlds, that we wouldn't trade them for anything, and yet...

I'm not one for parenting books in general - though I do tend to read quite a number of them.  I don't think that parenting or parenthood is a one-size-fits-all affair, but I do think that we all have so much to learn from others who have been there- in our shoes, in similar shoes, and those who just want to dispense some advice.  Everything to be taken with a grain of salt, and something to be learned from every situation.  I liked this book for its acknowledgement that despite what people say about enjoying every moment because it all goes so fast-  it's okay to have those moments where it's really not fun, and that you really just need to get through.  But, that it's also always important to take a step back and acknowledge the joy that really does come from being a parent and being able to watch the lives of some pretty extraordinary people in your midst.

Better than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives by Gretchen Rubin:  I've been a fan of Gretchen Rubin since I read The Happiness Project roughly ten years ago.  I think she has a lot of helpful things to say about really understanding one's own motivations and goals, and doing what it takes to achieve them (in a way that also brings and maintains happiness).  Better Than Before chronicles Rubin's journey in developing habits -based on her particular personality type - and seeing how effective she can be in sustaining long-term change in her life. By using her own life - her successes and failures - as examples, it is easy for the reader to become inspired to create their own lasting change based on their own idiosyncratic personalities.  Gretchen Rubin's new book Outer Order, Inner Calm about decluttering comes out later this year.  I have a feeling it may be repetitive of so much else that is out there right now on this topic, but I'm looking forward on her take given all the research that she has already done on how and why people behave the ways that they do.



No comments: