Wednesday, July 3, 2019

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight - Jennifer E. Smith

I used to be a big fan of YA fiction - and I still am, but I think I'm moving more and more into the "Middle Reader" book section - books that I think are more for 8-12 years olds (or so), and don't focus much on young love, which is a topic that I don't much have the stomach for - but of course is all-appealing and all-consuming for actual real YA readers.  So, while I'm glad these books exist for the readers for whom they are intended, I shall keep my distance in the future (I think).

I don't recall why I picked this one up - probably the cover, and the font on the cover.  It reminded me somewhat of the movie "Before Sunrise" with Ethan Hawke.  In this version, an American girl misses her flight to her father's second wedding in London.  She happens to meet Oliver - a charming British teenager sitting in her row.  They spend the evening talking and connecting and (maybe?) falling in love.  But, when they finally arrive in London, the chaos of the moment causes them to lose each other.  Is that the end of this budding romance?  How can they possibly find each other again in a bustling city with millions of people?  Is it possible that Oliver just might turn up at this infamous wedding?  Only time will tell what fate has in store for these two.  It's a book filled with cliches and a pretty predictable ending, but it's very cute - and just right medicine for any teenager out there who just needs a little hope when it comes to finding the love of their life.

No comments: