Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Unbearable Lightness of Being* - Milan Kundera

http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-0060932139-2: This one took me awhile to slog through. I felt like there were chapters/scenes that went quickly, and others that I simply could not focus on (this seems to be a reoccuring theme with me - and reflects more on my concentration levels recently, than on the substance of the novels I'm reading)...but, basically this book revolves around the relationships of four couples - there relationships among each other, concepts of fidelity and love...I feel like this would be a good book for a discussion group - lots of weighty themes and moments of recognition. I started reading this right after I finished A Multitude of Sins - a collection of short stories by Richard Ford - all about marital infidelity. I think it was too much on the same topic all at once for me. But, wonderful writing style - a little too asbstract for my recent tastes.

(* - listed in 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die)

No comments: