Sunday, March 11, 2007

The Bean Trees - Barbara Kingsolver

Ever since I read and loved The Poisonwood Bible in college, I've been meaning to go back and read this book. I'd heard it was very different - and it was, but I still really liked it. It's the story of a young woman in a small town who drives across country. In Oklahoma, she is saddled with a child, and they travel together and settle down in Tucson. The books follows their developing relationship, as well as the main character's new friendships. I read this book in one sitting - which shows what a fast read it is, but also that it was interesting enough to sit down with for several hours. The characters were realistic and the story touching (and heartbreaking at times). I'm looking forward to reading Animal Dreams next.

No comments: