Wednesday, March 14, 2007

A Far Country - Daniel Mason

http://www.powells.com/biblio/7-9780375414664-1 - By a friend of mine from high school (who wrote the NY Times Bestseller The Piano Tuner), this is the story of 14 year of Isabel, growing up destitute and hungry in a small rural town. She is sent to the big city settlements (which sound a lot like Brazilian favelas) to work for a cousin. She hopes to meet up with her oder brother there, but he has gone missing, and she spends the rest of the book in a frenzied attempt to track him down. While not a lot actually happens in this book, the writing is beyond beautiful and I found myself reading and rereading passages just because the language was so perfect. I loved this book - in no small part because it is Daniel's - but also because it captured so perfectly the bond between an older brother and younger sister. I recommend this to anyone who savors writing that reads like poetry.

1 comment:

Zach said...

Daaaaang! You read a lot of books at an astonishing rate, Anne! I definitely won't be able to keep up, but I'll try to stop by and check out your latest recommendations whenever I go through a dry spell. Have you ever read Tales from a Traveling Couch, by Robert Akeret? It's awesome - About a psychotherapist who follows up, years later, with some of his more interesting cases to see what became of them. Really funny, insightful, humble, and, in the end, just very human, I thought. How long are you in DC?