Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Clouds of Witness - Dorothy Sayers

http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-9780061043536-3 : This recommendation by Aunty Marji closed out Mystery Month for me. Amateur sleuth Lord Peter Whimsy is called away from vacation when his brother is accused of murdering their sister's fiance. Sayers lays out an in-depth decription of the trial - which I found fascinating and made me wonder if Sayers had a legal background. While I quickly got into this book, after about the first 70 pages, I found it hard to keep my interest - I think the writing was too old-fashioned for me. The final chapters were skillfully put together, but I didn't find myself that impressed by the resolution. I also think, though, that I enjoyed The Murder of Roger Ackroyd so much, that this fell a little short by comparison.

April was a good reading month for me, and I declare my "Topic of the Month" reading plan an early success. I was really happy to learn about some new authors (like Sayers) and read others that I've heard about for so long but never read (like Chandler). I plan to work more mysteries into my rotation and I received a lot of recommendations that I just didn't have time to get to. Yet.

No comments: