Sunday, May 6, 2007

Go - Holly Uyemoto

http://www.amazon.com/Go-Novel-Holly-Uyemoto/dp/0452271975/ref=sr_1_1/103-2265160-9416600?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1178485294&sr=1-1: Go is the story of a third-generation Japanese American who moves home after a bad break-up with her boyfriend. She retraces family stories of her grandparents and parents growing up in the internment camps, as she re-adjusts to life with her dysfunctional mother, aunts, uncles, and cousins. The ideas in the book were simplistic and I did not think the writing was particularly engaging. I enjoyed little pieces of the story, or observations that reminded me of my own family (like after her grandmother's funeral, the relatives sit around opening the koden envelopes, consulting their records of who had given what in the past, and taking notes on the amounts. I always thought it was weird when my grandmother did this, but apparently, not such a strange custom, after all), but all in all it was barely mediocre. I wouldn't recommend this book for anything more than something to help pass the time on a lazy summer afternoon.

No comments: