Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Host - Stephenie Meyer

After enjoying the first three books in Meyer's YA vampire series, I thought I would check out her first adult novel. But, I just couldn't get into it. Then my brother-in-law, Mark, who is knowledgeable in all things science-fiction recommended it and noted that he enjoyed reading a book written from the first person perspective (apparently not all that common in the sci-fi genre). So, I decided to give it a second shot. In this futuristic world, the Earth has been taken over by "souls" who somehow capture and then inhabit human hosts. The souls then take over the human mind and body and continue on with life in their new form. Aside from the seemingly violent act of inserting and overtaking another being, the souls are otherwise benevelont and positive creatures. Among their own kind, there is no suspicion or violence. But, they are determined to erradicate the human race - though small pods of natives still remain. One of the remaining outliers, Melanie, is caught. Wanderer is inserted into her, but instead of immediately taking over like usual, Melanie's mind fights back and Wanderer finds herself unable fully to occupy her host without constantly hearing her thoughts and eventually reevaluating the souls' purpose on Earth and her right to exist in her host's body. Meyers' writing is more sophisticated here than in her YA series - which is something I wondered if she was capable of - but the conversations among her characters are still often awkward, and her female characters all border on the annoying/whining/I'm so unworthy - similar to Bella, the main character in the Twilight series. And while from chapter to chapter the action was a bit predictable, I found myself unsure of the ending Meyers would pick - would it be the inevitable tragic destruction of the souls and triumph of the humans or would it be the love-fest everyone lives in harmony ending? I was a bit surprised at the one she chose, but very happy overall. Not winning a Pulitzer anytime soon, but it is an entertaining story and I could see it worthy of conversation in a book group on a number of different levels.

1 comment:

Mark Philpot said...

Have to agree. Meyer's biggest flaw is her weak female characters, especially when they happen to be the protagonist. I liked Breaking Dawn (conclusion of the Twilight series) because Bella was much stronger and also contained sections with Jacob in the first person.

I think the pacing intrigued me the most about the Host... I kept expecting her to turn the novel into something completely different (more fight and flight), but I'm glad she rebuffed it because I think it makes it better and not your stereotypical science fiction climax. She apparently has plans for sequels to this as well, which might be more than just a basic love story and focus on the plight of the remaining human race against quasi-benevolent-but-not-really invaders.

Bottom line -- it's entertaining and very digestible by people normally not drawn to the genre.