Sunday, October 5, 2008

Breaking Dawn - Stephenie Meyer (Twilight Series #4)

While I was more sad to see the Harry Potter series come to an end, I was plenty hesitant to finish off this one too. Despite my complaints about the Twilight series in general - mostly that the conversations between the star-crossed lovers are treacly and Bella's low self-esteem makes me want to throw the books against the wall as I'm reading them - there is no question that this series is entertaining and I was eager to find out how it would all end. At the beginning of this one, Bella is planning her wedding with Edward - and all the questions are there: will Edward really agree to turn her into a vampire? How will Jacob react? Will Bella regret her new life and all the implications? Will the Volturi make a return visit? This one started off with Bella in her usual irritating mode - Jacob returns and is pathetic as ever, but then I thought it took some very unexpected (to me) turns and finally got some bite. Bella becomes stronger - both physically and mentally in this novel, and she seems finally to have found her non-annoying voice. Jacob - my favorite character in the previous novels - takes on a more central role, and has about a third of the book told from his shape-shifting wolf perspective as he makes a break from his pack to protect the Cullens. There is a lot of focus in this book on the vampires with special powers - such as Edward's ability to mind-read and Alice's flashes about the future. As far-off vampires gather and challenge and impress each other with their various gifts, it was a little bit X-men-ish. That being said, I love the X-Men - and even if it seemed like Meyer was ripping off known superheroes, I still found it entertaining. Some of the themes/scenes in this installment probably merit more than a PG-13 rating (with respect to sex, not violence), but perhaps Meyer assumes her readers have aged along with the series and would be mature enough to handle it all by now. There's not much else to say without spoiling the plot, but while I've read on-line that other fans were disappointed with the ending Meyer chose to write, I found myself pleasantly surprised - and as many folks who check in with this blog know by now, I am definitely one for the happily ever after.

2 comments:

Mark Philpot said...

One of the biggest frustrations of science fiction & fantasy readers is the authors don't know how to end a good thing -- they often ramble reveal more loose ends than they can tie up. While there are those looking for a ending more tragic ending, I'm glad it resolved well. It's one of those feel good "The End" novels, that don't seem to come around as often as they once did =)

Maria said...

I'm all for happy endings, but did no one else notice that this was the most poorly written ending, well, ever? All they did was TALK!

NOTHING happened. You have over a dozen vampires all standing around threatening to do something but nobody actually does! All expository dialogue - the first mistake that identifies hack writing.

While I had some gripes with the HP ending, you can't say Rowling didn't make a lot sacrifices - to central characters - and make it action-packed.

Was anyone really worried that it would turn out all OK in the end? Come on!