Monday, February 14, 2011

Hello Kitty Must Die - Angela Choi

I love everything Hello Kitty, so when I saw the cover of this book, I had to read it - even though I had no idea what it was about. Half way through, I realized this is actually a young adult novel, though I have no idea why as the subject matter seemed a little adult. Then again, kids are pretty advanced these days. Fiona Yu is corporate lawyer in San Francisco, working hard to shed the "Hello Kitty" stereotype of Asian woman as docile and subservient. She lives with her parents who are constantly trying marry her off to Chinese men she has no interest in and nothing in common with. She meets up with an old friend, Sean, now a plastic surgeon of sorts. As he helps her shed her Sanrio image, Fiona is dragged into his bizarre-Dexter like world. The subject matter and writing of this book reminded me of Christopher Moore - (A Dirty Job and Bloodsucking Fiends without the vampires) It was a mindless quick read, and I always enjoy books that take place in San Francisco.

No comments: