Saturday, June 2, 2007

All the Pretty Horses* - Cormac McCarthy

http://www.powells.com/biblio/17-9780679744399-12 - The first book in McCarthy's Border Trilogy, this is the story of 16 year old John Grady Cole who heads to Mexico on horseback with his best friend Lacey Rawlins. Along the way, they encounter Jimmy Belvins who gets them all in unspeakable trouble with the law, and Cole falls in love with the daughter of an aristocrat. While Cole seems unbelievably advanced for his age, I did find the narrative interesting - mostly because of the intereactions with the Blevins character. I am not, in general, interested in stories having to do with animals, and there was a little too much going on with Cole and other men in the story being obsessed with the spiritual connections they had with their horses. I've heard about McCarthy for some time, and this was my first experience reading him - it took a little concentration to get into the writing, but once I was in, I found it difficult to put the book down. I am interested in checking out The Road, which just recently won the Pulitzer.

(* - Winner of the National Book Award for Fiction)

No comments: