Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Eat, Pray, Love - Elizabeth Gilbert

http://www.powells.com/biblio/7-9780143038412-1 - A memoir by a woman in her early 30s who has just gone through a divorce and a subsequent all-encompassing and draining relationship. She decides to take a year for herself - to travel and live in Italy, India, and Indonesia (for a year focusing on herself, it only makes sense to choose countries that start with "I"). Her Italian adventure is filled with delicious food (gelato every day), India is spent in an Ashram, and Indonesia is a spiritual journey where she learns to love again. While by its nature, the memoir is self-indulgent and ego-centric, I felt that the overall message of this book was a good one - when times are rough and depression seems to hang over everything, it's our responsibility to bring ourselves out of the darkness, to focus on life, and to be present and happy. I read this while on vacation in Ashland - so felt like I was in a similar space - focusing on appreciating how great life can be - especially if you have easy access to a lot of ice cream (even if it's not quite gelato).

1 comment:

Sara Lynn said...

I was first drawn to this book because of the beauty of the cover. I started reading it in the bookstore and then finally bought it in hardcover so I could bring it back to Chile with me. The image of her beginning on the floor of her bathroom was really powerful for me. I wasn't dealing with a divorce like she was but I was living with a huge life change and a difficult adjustment. This book (and Wintergreen lifesavers) got me through some really difficult days when I was questioning my choices. Must say though that I didn't completely support her relationship with the man while in Indonesia. I thought it was an easy way out of loneliness. If I reread it again today I may sing a different tune. Who knows?