Sunday, June 24, 2007

A Man Without a Country - Kurt Vonnegut

http://www.powells.com/biblio/2-9781583227138-3 - A collection of excerpts from essays and speeches by Vonnegut during the last five years of his life. I noticed there is some overlap with God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian, but this is still worth checking out. Vonnegut can get a bit repetitive in his rants, but every couple pages there is a line that had me laughing out loud. He talks about American life, politics, religion, his time in Vietnam - I noticed that many of the reviews, while positive, have an undertone of "this is getting old." Perhaps it's a good thing this was his last hurrah before he passed on. His pessimistic humor, however, does make me want to go back and re-read some of the books I read by him in college. I have a feeling I'll get much more enjoyment out of them this time around.

No comments: