Sunday, August 5, 2007

Fever Pitch - Nick Hornby

http://www.powells.com/biblio/17-9780140293449-0 - I am a huge Nick Hornby fan. I love his sense of humor and get a warm cozy feeling whenever I read his writing. So, I decided to pick up this book, which is a bit of a memoir focused on Hornby's obsession with football (or soccer, depending on the country). This was like a sports version of The Orchid Thief. I am not a fan of soccer, don't know the players or the teams. Yet, I enjoyed this book. Sometimes he gets a little heavy on the game details, but he tells enough stories about his childhood and uses soccer as a metaphor for enough things in life that this held my interest. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who loves soccer (Arenal is Hornby's team) or Hornby in general. It's also a frightening glimpse into the nature of obsessions - I've always found people who love one very specific thing so much that they revolve their lives around it to be quite fascinating. Not a must-read, but not a bad way to pass the time.

No comments: