Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson

http://www.randomhouse.com/features/billbryson/bb_title/display.pperl?isbn=9780767902526 - In real life I love hot showers, soft beds, and all the conveniences of modern life. In my dreams, I am an outdoor whiz, hiking through the forest with my pack and walking stick, cooking under the stars, and loving every second of nature. So, reading Bryson's travel book about his time on the Appalachian Trail (from the comforts of the couch) was pure heaven. Bryson vows to conquer the 2,000+ miles from Georgia to Maine with a 40 pound pack, out of shape and with no background in camping. He takes along with him, Katz, an old friend and recovering alcoholic who appears to live on cream soda and Little Debbie snack cakes. Together they survive overcrowded shelters, annoying know-it-all hiking companions, and hundreds of miles of trails. For anyone who has ever endured a long hike, this is an absolutely marvelous tale. And for those who have huge dreams, but aren't quite sure how to start (or finish), Bryson is a master at getting perspective, learnings to take things a little less seriously, and finding accomplishment and humor in every step.

1 comment:

Sara Lynn said...

I loved your first few lines of this review! They made me laugh because I am the same way. Yes, I read this book while I was traveling and backpacking, but not while I was camping and cooking all my food over a fire or camp stove. I too like to picture myself as such the outdoorswoman but never quite measure up to the image I've built in my head. When it comes down to it the hiking sounds great but it's much nicer when it's all finished and I get to relax.